This article is a quick product review of Valspar’s Zenith Waterborne Universal Amber Sealer and Pre-catalyzed Lacquer HAPs Free Matte finish.
The product was tried out in a basement finish with floor to ceiling rough timbers. Considerations that lead to this product choice were:
- Smell – A product with low smell and hazardous chemicals was highly desired
- Time – A quick finish time was essential to keep the project moving along in a limited time frame
- Quality – A durable, smooth, and high performing finish was desired.
According to the Valspar website, “Zenith Waterborne Precatalyzed Lacquer is low in VOC, HAPS-free and contains no formaldehyde or isocyanate, so that you can be assured you are using a coating that is not only beautiful and durable, but reduces hazards to workers, consumers and the environment.” (Read More)
A couple final notes:
- These products are specified for Professional Use Only.
- These products are GREENGUARD (SM) certified. This means that GREENGUARD Environmental Institute (GEI), as a third-party certification program, found this product meets air quality standards for low emitting products
First, the Waterborne Amber Sealer was applied to provide a slight Amber color on the wood (clear is also available).
After the Waterborne Amber Sealer was dry, within an hour, sanding and puttying of nail holes was started.
Finally, a topcoat of Zenith Waterborne Pre-catalyzed Lacquer HAPs free in a Matte finish was sprayed onto the woodwork.
All three of the initial goals were met. The smell was virtually non-existent on all other levels of the home, making it a safe and hazardous chemical free job. The project was complete in record time, in one day the entire finish was complete. The product is high quality; the durability and smoothness of the finish are excellent.
Check out this video to see clips of the project.